AOC says way must be found to 'rein in our media environment so that you can't just spew' lies
"And we're going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can't just spew disinformation and misinformation," the congresswoman said.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said during a recent Instagram Live video that "we're going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can't just spew disinformation and misinformation."
During the video she appeared to read a question that a commenter had posed about whether there is "Any discussion in Congress about federal truth and reconciliation or media literacy initiatives to help with healing."
In her response to that question, the New York Democrat said that "there's absolutely a commission that's being discussed, but it seems to be more investigatory in style rather than truth and reconciliation, and so I think that's an interesting concept for us to explore. And you know I do think that several members of Congress in some of my discussions have brought up media literacy because that is a part of what happened here. And we're going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can't just spew disinformation and misinformation. It's one thing to have differing opinions but it's another thing entirely to just say things that are false. And so that's something that we're looking into," the congresswoman said.
The lawmaker said during her video that President Trump, "assisted by members of Congress, incited an attack on the United States Capitol," and she described the president as "a traitor to our country."
News, Not Noise
- Mystery deepens over Biden Interior nominee's finances as she files third amended ethics report
- Cuomo accused of harassment, 'hostility' and 'dirty tricks' against woman while HUD chief
- Fauci's flip-flops: How 'America’s Doctor' has repeatedly reversed himself during Covid crisis
- 'Trump will be your president long before 2024,': MyPillow's Lindell amid Dominion defamation suit
- Senator Romney knocked unconscious from weekend fall, requiring stitches to lip, eyebrow