El Chapo's wife has been arrested, Justice Department says
The Justice Department said that Emma Coronel Aispuro, a dual U.S.-Mexican citizen, was arrested at Dulles International Airport near Washington D.C.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
The 31-year-old wife of the infamous drug trafficker El Chapo has been charged in connection with her alleged participation in international drug trafficking.
The Justice Department said that Emma Coronel Aispuro, a dual U.S.-Mexican citizen, was arrested at the Dulles International Airport.
"According to court documents, Aispuro is charged with participating in a conspiracy to distribute cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin and marijuana for importation into the U.S.," the DOJ noted. "Additionally, Coronel Aispuro is alleged to have conspired with others to assist Guzman in his July 11, 2015 escape from Altiplano prison, located in Almoloya de Juarez, Mexico. After Guzman was re-arrested in Mexico in January 2016, Coronel Aispuro is alleged to have engaged in planning yet another prison escape with others prior to Guzman’s extradition to the U.S. in January 2017."
The woman's husband, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman Loera, was previously "convicted by a jury in the Eastern District of New York in 2019 for his role as a leader of the Sinaloa Cartel," the DOJ noted.
News, Not Noise
- Durham File: A documentary roadmap to special counsel probe of rogue FBI pursuit of Trump
- Sen. Ron Johnson says he will make Senate clerk read through the entire coronavirus relief bill
- FBI official: No shots fired by rioters, no firearms recovered during siege on U.S. Capitol
- White House cuts feed at virtual event after Biden says 'happy to take questions' from Democrats
- Blackout: White House curbs press, public access as Biden struggles with public demands of job