The superintendent of Oxford Community Schools in Michigan says all middle- and high-school students will "for the time being" be required to use clear backpacks upon their return to the classroom, following a recent, fatal school shooting.
The announcement came last week, just about one month after 15-year-old gunman Ethan Crumbley opened fire on his classmates, killing four students and injuring seven others.
Crumbley faces 24 charges including first-degree murder and terrorism resulting in death, he was charged as an adult. Crumbley's parents, James and Jennifer, were also charged in connection to the shooting.
Superintendent Tim Throne said the district has enough clear backpacks to distribute to middle and high school students "thanks to the generosity of so many in our community."
High schoolers at Oxford High School, where the shooting occurred, have not yet received a return date, though middle schoolers will be sent home with a clear backpack on Monday – they were told to report to the classroom Monday without a backpack or school materials.
Throne announced that law enforcement officials will be on-site at all district buildings, including individuals from a personal security firm hired by the district.
"I know it was a different Christmas and holiday break for many of us," said Throne in a video message sent along with the security announcements. He encouraged members of the community to continue reaching out to one another, "I know that it has made a difference in many people's lives," he said.
The parents of two sisters who attend Oxford High School, one of whom was shot in the neck, are suing the Oxford School District for $100 million. School Principal Steven Wolf, the dean of students, two guidance counselors, and two teachers are among those listed in the suit, as well as Throne, and the Oxford Community Schools district.