Twitter fact-checks Biden's claim gas is average of $3.19 a gallon
Only two states had average gas prices at or below Biden's claim.
Twitter fact-checked President Joe Biden's claim that gas costs $3.19 a gallon at most stations across the country, but data shows that the national average is $3.80 a gallon.
"Right now, the most common price at gas stations across the country is $3.19 per gallon. That's progress," Biden tweeted on Sunday.
However, data from fuel price monitor AAA shows that the national average is $3.80 for a gallon of regular gas.
Users were quick to point out the price discrepancy, and Twitter added it as an informational insert below Biden's post.
"Readers added context they thought people might want to know," the headline of the information added on the tweet reads before stating that Biden is referring to the "mode" gas price, which "diminishes high gas states from the equation."
Users are able to rate whether the note was helpful. Georgia and Texas are the only two states with average gas prices at or below Biden's claim.
Twitter has fact-checked Biden several times since Elon Musk took over the company late last month.
Just News, No Noise
- GOP Rep. Greene seeks probe on why Trump not told about previous spy balloons
- Kari Lake headed to Iowa for political events, raising national profile
- Evidence-based medicine publisher held up mask meta-study because it lacked 'right answer': author
- China spy balloon episode a Sputnik learning moment for America, black eye for Pentagon
- Brief filed with Supreme Court argues student loan forgiveness program exceeds Biden’s authority