Man charged with homicide for allegedly killing teen he thought part of Republican 'extremist group'
The incident occurred Sunday and followed a political dispute
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
A North Dakota man is being charge with homicide for allegedly running over a teen whom he thought was part of a Republican "extremist group."
The incident occurred Sunday and followed a political dispute, according to Fox News.
The person charged is being identified as Shannon Brandt, 41, of McHenry, North Dakota.
Brandt is charged with vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of a deadly accident, with carry a minimum 10 years behind bars.
He allegedly was intoxicated when he hit and ran over the teen with his SUV, before leaving the scene of the incident.
Brandt allegedly fled the scene but called 911 to report the incident and was later arrested at his home, Fox News also reports.
The victim has been identified as 18-year-old Cayler Ellingson.
Brandt allegedly told the 911 dispatchers the teen was part of a Republican "extremist group," which was his motivation to go pursue and kill him.
According to news reports, Ellingson called his mom moments before he was killed to come rescue him because Brandt had been chasing him around McHenry where a street dance was taking place.
North Dakota Highway Patrol Capt. Bryan Niewind said investigators have yet to find a witness to the incident, according to the Grand Forks Herald newspaper.
Brandt is being held on $50,000.
"I have a job, a life and a house and things I don't want to see go by the wayside – family that are very important to me," he reportedly told the judge.
Just News, No Noise
- Stanford president under investigation after school newspaper report about possible academic fraud
- As 71% in poll say Maricopa County issues tipped Senate race, judge sanctions Kari Lake lawyers
- Twitter docs released by Musk and journalist suggest Democrats could manipulate speech on platform
- Aide to New York attorney general resigns amid harassment claims of ‘inappropriate touching’
- FedEx driver kidnapped, murdered 7-year-old Texas girl: police