Democrat Melanie Stansbury secures win in New Mexico special election contest for vacant House seat
Stansbury will fill the vacancy created by the departure of Deb Haaland to serve as Interior Secretary.
New Mexico Democratic state Rep. Melanie Stansbury emerged victorious Tuesday in the state's special election to fill the vacancy in the U.S. House resulting from Deb Haaland's departure to serve as Interior Secretary.
The race was called early with Stansbury leading by a 2 to 1 margin according to the Albuquerque Journal.
Stansbury's win prolongs the blue streak in New Mexico's 1st District which has remained in Democratic control for more than ten years, according to The Hill.
News, Not Noise
- Kingmaker? Trump has more than $100 million in the bank to influence 2022 elections
- Special Marine tactical force deployed twice in past month to protect embassies
- Kyrsten Sinema's bipartisanship gaining Republican favor
- Nearly 2 million households owe $15 billion in back rent as eviction moratorium expires
- Billionaire Brawl: Federal government denies Bezos claim of inappropriate space contract to Musk