DOJ prosecutors think they have 'sufficient evidence' to charge Trump: report
Prosecutors with the Department of Justice reportedly believe they have sufficient evidence to charge former President Donald Trump with obstruction of justice.
Bloomberg, citing "people familiar with the matter," said prosecutors handling the Mar-a-Lago case "believe there is sufficient evidence" to press the charge. FBI agents are reportedly divided over bringing a case against Trump, according to the outlet, which highlighted that the final decision on such an action rests with Attorney General Merrick Garland.
At least one former FBI official believes the charge will come. Former FBI Assistant Director for Counterintelligence Frank Figliuzzi told Bloomberg that, "[o]f all the things Trump is being investigated for around the country, obstruction of justice is a slam dunk and I think he's going to be indicted... I don't see why a charge of obstruction of justice couldn't be filed by the end of the year."
Fox News host Tucker Carlson made a similar pronouncement shortly after the raid, saying "when the Biden Justice Department or some other state agency under their influence finally does what you know they're going to do, and that's indict Donald Trump. Obviously they're going to do that."
Prior the the FBI's Aug. 8 raid on the Mar-a-Lago compound, a grand jury previously subpoenaed Trump for classified records, an order with which he voluntarily cooperated.
Former Attorney General Bill Barr indicated in a Fox News appearance last week that the DOJ had nearly reached a point at which it could make a case against the former president.
"There are two questions: Will the government be able to make out a technical case, will they have evidence, by which, that they could indict somebody on, including him?" Barr said, per the Washington Examiner. "That's the first question, and I think they're getting very close to that point, frankly."