Black CNN contributor argues that Trump 'has done good stuff for the black community'
"I get beat up by liberals every time I say it."
CNN commentator Van Jones on Friday gave unexpected praise of President Trump during a roundtable, arguing that the president should be recognized more for what Jones said are the beneficial things his administration has done for black Americans.
"... I get beat up by liberals every time I say it but I keep saying it, he has done good stuff for the Black community," Jones, who is black himself, said during the panel discussion. "Opportunity Zone stuff, black college stuff, I worked with him on criminal stuff, I saw Donald Trump have African-American people, [formerly] incarcerated, in the White House, embraced them, treated them well."
"There is a side to Donald Trump that I think he does not get enough credit for," added Jones, who once served as an adviser for Barack Obama.
The commentator during his remarks did express disappointment at Trump's recent comparison of himself to Abraham Lincoln. He also said that Trump's alleged "playing footsie on Twitter with ... white nationalists organizations" turns off many black voters to Trump's overall message.
"[T]hat's the tragedy of these mixed messages from the Trump White House," he argued.
News, not Noise
- Arizona audit flags thousands of suspect ballots, kicking issue to state's attorney general
- IRS would track all bank transactions over $600 under Biden plan; businesses revolt
- At Georgia rally, former President Trump promises 'glorious victory in 2024'
- Not in Brooklyn anymore: Rev. Al Sharpton gets shouted down at photo op along southern border
- 'Fauci' earnings mystery: No info on box office take for gushing documentary about COVID czar