Kennedy Center agrees to delay latest attempt to add Trump's name to the building

The center said in a status report that it would not carry out the plans to add the president's name before Sept. 8.

Published: August 19, 2026 6:23pm

The Kennedy Center agreed in a filing late Tuesday to delay adding President Donald Trump's name to the front of its building, marking the latest in an ongoing legal battle regarding the venue. 

The move comes after the center's board of directors voted last week to inscribe Trump's name on the building underneath the main signage to mark his role in renovating the historic building.

The center is also hoping to rename the grounds of the performing arts venue the “President Donald J. Trump Plaza.”

The center said in a status report that it would not carry out the plans to add the president's name before Sept. 8. 

The move also comes after U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper ruled in May the center could not add Trump’s name to the building and ordered the lettering be removed.

Ohio Democratic Rep. Joyce Beatty, who is a trustee of the venue through her role in Congress, has asked Cooper to block the latest proposed change to the Kennedy Center, including its planned two-year full closure of the venue.

Misty Severi is a news reporter for Just The News. You can follow her on X for more coverage. 

The Facts Inside Our Reporter's Notebook

Unlock unlimited access

  • No Ads Within Stories
  • No Autoplay Videos
  • VIP access to exclusive Just the News newsmaker events hosted by John Solomon and his team.
  • Support the investigative reporting and honest news presentation you've come to enjoy from Just the News.
  • Just the News Spotlight

    Support Just the News