Support Just the News

Help Fund Honest Journalism

Donate

Amid extended restrictions, nearly two-thirds of New York restaurants possibly closing, survey

Indoor seating is still prohibited in NYC, forcing restaurant owners to throw in the towel

Image
Sign posted reads "closed till further notice."
Sign posted in NYC restaurant window in July.
(Noam Galai/Getty Images)
Updated: September 4, 2020 - 4:21pm

The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook

New York restaurants are taking the hit from Gov. Andrew Cuomo's extended coronavirus shutdowns, with almost two-thirds of owners saying they could be out of business by year's end, according to a survey released Thursday.

The survey by the New York State Restaurant Association is based on responses from over 1,000 restaurant owners in the state and provides a window into the future of the previously booming industry, as the pandemic nears six months. 

Roughly 63% of respondents said they could likely close by the end of the year without some form of financial relief and 36% said they expect to still be in business in January. 

"It is painfully clear that without financial assistance, the restaurant industry in New York State could collapse," said Melissa Fleischut, the NYSRA's president and CEO. "These recent survey results illustrate just how dire the financial situation has become for most restaurants, and it shows how critical it is that elected officials understand the urgency of the situation.”

Restaurant owners need financial support but ultimately want increased indoor dining capacity and in NYC the ability to open for indoor dining. 

New York city officials said earlier this week that roughly 1,300 of the city’s 25,000 restaurants and bars have shut down amid the pandemic.

“We are now asking the governor, the state Legislature and those at the federal level to simply help us survive. Without further assistance, the restaurant industry as we know it could be gone in a New York minute,” Fleischut also said.

Just the News Spotlight