White House adviser claims high gas prices necessary for 'future of the liberal world order'
The average price of gas exceeded $5 per gallon for the first time in U.S. history in early June
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
White House economic adviser Brian Deese on Thursday told CNN that high gas prices were a necessary inconvenience to preserve the "future of the liberal world order," amid the ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The average price of gas exceeded $5 per gallon for the first time in U.S. history in early June.
CNN's Victor Blackwell asked Deese to speak to comments President Joe Biden made earlier in the day suggesting Americans would pay high prices for "as long as it takes" for the war in Ukraine to end.
Blackwell noted that experts have predicted the war's end is unlikely to come in the near future before asking Deese "what do you say to those families that say 'listen, we can't afford to pay $4.85 a gallon for months, if not years. This is just not sustainable'?"
"What you heard from the president today was a clear articulation of the stakes," Deese answered. "This is about the future of the liberal world order, and we have to stand firm."
— Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) July 1, 2022
The Biden administration has drawn considerable criticism for its handling of the economy, especially on inflation and energy policy. Amid rising energy costs and opposition demands for increased domestic production, the government on Friday announced it had yet to decide on a plan to deny or approve, in part or in full, the expansion of oil and gas drilling leases in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico.
Just News, No Noise
- Questions grow about Trump raid after revelation of grand jury subpoena, extensive cooperation
- Judge who issued FBI raid warrant on Mar-a-Lago rules DOJ must respond to suit seeking to unseal it
- Whistleblowers revealed widespread FBI misconduct ahead of Trump raid
- Donald Trump says FBI broke lock on document room that agents asked him to install
- IRS job posting for Criminal Investigation agent: 'Be willing to use deadly force, if necessary'