Half of U.S. voters say every American should be required to wear a mask in public at all times
Sixty-nine percent (69%) of Democrats support a federal mandate requiring masks, while 62% of Republicans are opposed
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Half of U.S. voters say every American should be required to wear a mask in public at all times, according to a new Just the News Daily Poll with Scott Rasmussen.
Mandatory mask-wearing has become the subject of polarizing debates in some parts of the country, as the coronavirus pandemic subsides. COVID-19 is close to losing its epidemic status in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"Voters are evenly divided as to whether or not there should be a federal mandate requiring every American to wear a mask in public at all times. Fifty percent (50%) say yes, while 48% disagree," Rasmussen said. "Those opposing the mandate include 24% who believe state and local governments should set the rules and 24% who think it should be a matter of individual choice."
Sixty-nine percent (69%) of Democrats support a federal mandate requiring masks, while 62% of Republicans are opposed, indicating a clear partisan split on the issue.
Among Independents, 43% support a national mandate while 55% are opposed. However, just 28% believe it should be a matter of individual choice.
Just the News Daily Poll respondents were asked “When it comes to policies about wearing masks in public, which of the following approaches do you prefer?" They responded as below:
- 50% Every American should be required to wear a mask in public at all times
- 24% State and local governments should determine appropriate rules for their area
- 24% The decision on whether to wear masks should be up to each individual
- 2% Not Sure
The national survey of 1,200 registered voters was conducted July 2-4, 2020 by Rasmussen, a polling veteran. Margin of sampling error: +/- 2.8% for full sample.
To see the full demographic cross-tabulations for this polling question, click below:
To see the methodology and sample demographics for this polling question, click below:
News, not Noise
- New Durham indictment exposes second leg of Hillary Clinton's Russia collusion dirty trick
- 'Making Taliban Great Again' billboard featuring Biden draws widespread attention
- Georgia elections chief expects to be subpoenaed by Jan. 6 commission, vows not to comply
- 'Fakeout'? As lawmakers demand answers on Afghanistan, SecDef Austin shifts focus to Havana Syndrome
- 'Justice for J6' rally puts spotlight on evidence of political motives behind Jan. 6 prosecutions