Majority of voters take relatively relaxed approach to mask-wearing in public
Fewer than two out of every five voters use masks very consistently.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
A majority of registered voters are relatively relaxed about wearing masks in public amid the COVID-19 pandemic, a new Just the News Daily Poll with Scott Rasmussen shows.
Among the 63% of respondents who indicated at least moderate mask usage, 34% said they wear face coverings while out but remove them upon reaching a "socially distant" space such as a restaurant table. Fifteen percent said they never wear a mask unless they "absolutely have to," while 14% said they "generally" cover their faces to avoid offending others.
Among the 37% of respondents who wear a mask "at all times" while around others, 28% said they were "offended" by those who do not.
Rasmussen called the data "significant."
"It shows that the question is not just between wearing a mask or not," he said. "Eighty-five percent typically wear a mask. But a much smaller number – 37% – are hyper-vigilant about it in daily life."
"It is worth noting," he also said, "that older voters are more likely than younger voters to wear a mask in private settings. That’s a common sense recognition of the fact that older voters are far more at risk from the coronavirus."
The survey of 1,200 Registered Voters was conducted by Rasmussen from September 17-19.
To see this poll's cross-demographic tabulations, voting plans and voter turnout models, click here.
To see this poll's methodology and sample demographics, click here.
News, Not Noise
- FBI feared foreign power was targeting money to Clinton before 2016 campaign, memos show
- Man who admits hitting police with bat in Capitol riot reportedly said, 'I'm not here for Trump'
- Trump to lead national election integrity drive as first post-presidential move, says adviser
- Federal judge blocks Obamacare mandate that compels doctors to perform gender reassignment surgery
- GOP Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene files impeachment articles against President Biden