In new poll most don't know Obama, Biden had role in overseeing FBI probe of Trump campaign
'Poll numbers show that the latest information on the investigations has not penetrated the public discussion,' says pollster Rasmussen.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
- Just the News Daily Poll with Scott Rasmussen
- As Just the News reported last month, the belated discovery of disgraced FBI agent Peter Strzokâs January 2017 notes
Most voters don't know evidence shows that Barack Obama and Joe Biden when in the White House were involved in managing the FBI investigation of the Trump 2016 campaign, according to a new Just the News Daily Poll with Scott Rasmussen.
As Just the News reported last month, the belated discovery of disgraced FBI agent Peter Strzok’s January 2017 notes suggests then-Vice President Biden raised the issue of using the Logan Act — an obscure, centuries-old law — as a possible avenue for continuing to investigate Michael Flynn.
Flynn, a retired Army lieutenant general, was a campaign surrogate, then became President Trump's national security adviser. Flynn agreed to plead guilty in the FBI's probe into whether the campaign colluded with Russia. But evidence showing the mishandling of the probe recently led the Justice Department to move to drop the case.
Biden once claimed he had no knowledge of the Flynn probe.
And Strzok appears to quote Obama as suggesting the FBI assign “the right people” to pursue the case, according to recently released Strzok notes.
The new Rasmussen poll shows a plurality of U.S. voters (38%) don’t know whether the statement is true or false and the rest are evenly divided.
"Poll numbers show that the latest information on the investigations has not penetrated the public discussion," said Rasmussen, a veteran pollster. "Naturally, there is a partisan tone to the results. Sixty-three percent (63%) of Republicans believe it’s true while 56% of Democrats don’t."
Just the News Daily Poll respondents were asked “Is the following statement true or false: New evidence shows that Barack Obama and Joe Biden were directly involved in ordering and overseeing the FBI's investigation of Donald Trump's presidential campaign." They responded as below:
- 32% True
- 30% False
- 38% Not Sure
The national survey of 1,200 registered voters was conducted June 25-27, 2020 by Rasmussen, a polling veteran. Margin of sampling error: +/- 2.8% for full sample.
To see the full demographic cross-tabulations for this polling question, click below:
To see the methodology and sample demographics for this polling question, click below:
Just News, No Noise
- Top Republican on House Ways and Means urges colleagues to aim for a short-term spending bill
- Country singer John Rich announces alternative to liberal, cancel culture banks - 'Old Glory Bank'
- FBI agent's testimony implicates headquarters brass in social media censorship
- Rep. James Comer flips Democrat 'quid pro quo' impeachment argument on to Joe Biden
- Trump lawyer makes court plea that former president should have immunity in Jan. 6 lawsuits