Overwhelming 73% voters say Biden VP pick should be most qualified person, no matter race or gender
Overall, 15% of U.S. voters believe Biden should pick a woman of color, 10% say a woman, and 2% would like a person of color.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
An overwhelming 73% of U.S. voters say Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden should pick the most qualified person to be his running mate, regardless of race or gender, according to a new Just the News Daily Poll with Scott Rasmussen. That total includes 55% of Democrats.
Overall, 15% say Biden should pick a woman of color, 10% say a woman, and 2% would like a person of color.
Among Democrats, the reaction is more evenly divided. While just over half say Biden should pick the best person, 45% prefer other criteria: 26% would prefer a woman of color, 16% say a woman, and 3% want a person of color.
Among voters who have no preference in the race between President Trump and Biden, 86% want him to select the most qualified person.
During the Democratic primary debate season, Biden onstage promised to pick a female running mate.
Just the News Daily Poll respondents were asked, “When selecting his Vice-Presidential running mate, which of the following should Joe Biden select?" They responded as below:
- 15% A woman of color
- 10% A woman
- 2% A person of color
- 73% The most qualified person, regardless of race or gender
The national survey of 1,200 registered voters was conducted June 25-27, 2020 by Rasmussen, a polling veteran. Margin of sampling error: +/- 2.8% for full sample.
To see the full demographic cross-tabulations for this polling question, click below:
To see the methodology and sample demographics for this polling question, click below:
News, Not Noise
- Ex-FBI boss has 'grave concern' FISA court was 'defrauded intentionally' in Russia probe
- More troubles for Cuomo as Legislature strips his emergency powers amid dual scandals
- Boomerang? Trump antagonists suddenly hit with scandals, political crises of their own
- The Biden Cabinet nominee who can't seem to get her math straight
- Mississippi judge orders new election after finding 79% of absentee ballots invalid