Rubio demands answers as Epoch Times says Twitter has marked all of its links 'unsafe'
Republican senator demands answers as company reportedly refuses to respond.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Twitter has reportedly marked every link from the news organization Epoch Times as "unsafe," a move that has led at least one Republican senator to demand answers from the social media company.
The Epoch Times said on Thursday that Twitter "has marked all links to [the news website] as 'unsafe'."
"We believe this is a mistake and we have submitted a review to [Twitter support]," the company said.
Nearly a day and a half later, the Times said that Twitter still had not addressed the problem. "16 hours later, [Twitter support] has not responded to our case, and all of our content remains censored," the organization wrote on Twitter.
Several tests by Just the News on Friday afternoon verified that many if not all of the Times's links are indeed being marked as "unsafe" by Twitter. The broad censorship, meanwhile, drew the ire of GOP Florida Sen. Marco Rubio on Friday afternoon.
"[Twitter] is blocking all links to [Epoch Times], including a story about a human trafficking survivor, and labeling them as 'spammy' and 'unsafe'," Rubio said in a tweet. "Twitter must explain itself for this outrageous act of censorship."
The Epoch Times is based out of New York City. It has multiple alternative language editions of its website, though it remains blocked in Mainland China by the Chinese Communist Party.
Just News, No Noise
- New twist in FBI raid: Trump had 'standing order' to declassify documents taken to residence
- Marjorie Taylor Greene files articles of impeachment against Merrick Garland
- Top Democrat Clyburn: $740 billion spending-tax bill will be issue in midterm elections
- Arizona’s U.S. Senate seat rated a toss-up by election forecasters
- Two Democratic lawmakers cast 10 proxy votes each on House floor in favor of $740B spending bill