Grassley to skip Republican National Convention over coronavirus, breaks 40 year streak
The 86-year-old senator has not missed a convention since being elected to the upper chamber
Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley says he won’t attend next month’s Republican National Convention, citing concerns about contracting the coronavirus.
Grassley’s absence will mark the first time that the 86-year-old senator has missed a convention since being elected to the upper chamber 40 years ago.
Grassley made the announcement on a conference call Monday with reporters.
"I’m not going to go,” he reportedly said. “And I’m not going to go because of the virus situation."
Grassley still reportedly intends to make his annual tour of Iowa’s 99 counties, with plans to visit 29 of them over the next two weeks.
News, Not Noise
- After 6 months without lockdown, Sweden's COVID-19 deaths, infections bottom out
- MSNBC producer quits, says job 'forces skilled journalists to make bad decisions'
- 'That's awful.' Lisa Page's FBI text on Black Live Matters conflicts with MSNBC's embrace
- No immunity: State judge who helped illegal alien escape to face rare trial
- When racial justice becomes lucrative: Al Sharpton's $1 million compensation