House Oversight Republicans name 40 officials they want to interview about COVID-19 origins
Among the high-ranking officials being asked to submit to a transcribed interview are outgoing NIAID Director Fauci and Biden appointees.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Republicans on the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Wednesday notified 40 officials, including top-ranking Biden appointees, they want them to answer questions about the origins of COVID-19.
The GOP in the November midterms won control of the House and in January will take over, which includes leading the chamber's investigative committees.
Reps. James Comer and Jim Jordan sent letters Wednesday requesting transcribed interviews with the officials including Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra, retiring National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony Fauci and acting Presidential Science Advisor Dr. Francis Collins.
"The American people deserve the facts and the truth about the origins of COVID-19," they wrote, amid ongoing concerns the virus was leaked from a virology lab in Wuhan, China, where the virus was first detected, and that federal money was used to support potentially risky research at the lab.
"COVID-19 disrupted our lives and livelihoods for over two years," the letter continues. "If we had known the truth about the virus’s origins, we could have combatted the virus in a more meaningful way at the outset of the pandemic."
Jordan and Comer say numerous attempts to contact federal health agencies to learn more about the origins have been "ignored."
Just News, No Noise
- Homeland sees ‘heightened threat’ of attacks on churches, cops and feds ahead of 2024 election
- Nearly everyone infected with COVID-19 at CDC event was vaccinated: agency survey
- Debt deal frays GOP unity McCarthy enjoyed since Speaker battle as prominent conservatives bolt
- House Freedom Caucus blasts debt deal: 'This is a career-defining vote for every Republican'
- McCarthy vows to hold FBI Director Wray in contempt over Biden probe