McCarthy loses at least 12 GOP votes for House speaker on first round, putting his bid in jeopardy
A second round of voting in the speaker election is expected to take place on Tuesday given that no candidate has reached the threshold needed to win
Updated: January 3, 2023 - 2:12pm
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy lost 19 GOP votes in the first round of the House speaker election on Tuesday, putting his bid to lead the chamber in jeopardy.
Republicans won a slim majority in the House in the 2022 midterm election.
A second round of voting is expected to take place given that no candidate has reached the 218 vote threshold needed to become speaker.
Just News, No Noise
- J6 Unmasked: Security footage confirms Capitol door opened, allowing 300 to enter building freely
- GOP lawmaker excoriates Jan. 6 committee as new footage comes to light
- WATCH fateful moment senate door unlocks allowing hundreds in the Capitol on January 6th
- Biden bribery memo: Open investigation or game of keep away?
- Patrick Mahomes pulls Travis Kelce away from White House podium during Chiefs' visit