Report: Vulnerable Democrats spooked after surprise $5k donations from Ocasio-Cortez
Firebrand Democratic rep could be political poison in close districts.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Multiple House Democrats are reportedly concerned about political fallout after U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gave them surprise donations of $5,000 each to help bankroll their next reelection fights.
A Friday report from Politico claims Ocasio-Cortez “sent the contributions to her colleagues to help keep the House majority ahead of a tough cycle without directly contributing to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, with which she’s publicly clashed.”
Yet some of the recipients of those donations were allegedly not thrilled to be bankrolled by Ocasio-Cortez, one of the most outspoken and unabashed progressive politicians currently serving in Congress.
The funding, Politico said, may create “a liability for members of her party who have to win reelection in districts where [Ocasio-Cortez’s] political brand is poisoned.”
The donations reportedly were “unsolicited and came without warning,” Politico said.
News, Not Noise
- Health officials less confident in COVID vaccine efficacy with rise of Delta variant
- CDC justified new mask guidance based on vaccine study listed as failing peer review
- Black leaders cite wide gap between Washington solutions, what middle class black voters want
- Legal effort targets Minnesota government promotion of critical race theory, Black Lives Matter
- MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell says he's pulling ads from Fox News following disagreement