Texas GOP Sen. Cruz makes another attempt to impose term limits on members of Congress
This marks the third time Cruz has introduced legislation to impose term limits on Congress.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Texas GOP Sen. Ted Cruz on Tuesday reintroduced an amendment that would put term limits on members of Congress, saying the rise in "political careerism" is not what the country's founders intended.
"Today my colleagues and I reintroduced a constitutional amendment to impose #TermLimits on Members of Congress," the Texas lawmaker tweeted. "The amendment would limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to three two-year terms."
Cruz gained the support of fellow Republican Sens. Mike Braun and Todd Young of Indiana, Marco Rubio and Rick Scott of Florida, and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania for the proposed constitutional amendment.
This marks the third time Cruz has introduced legislation to impose term limits on Congress, having also done so in 2017 and 2019. His previous attempts never made it to the Senate floor.
"Every year, Congress spends billions of dollars on giveaways for the well-connected: Washington insiders get taxpayer money and members of Congress get re-elected, all while the system fails the American people," Cruz said in a statement. "The rise of political careerism in today’s Congress is a sharp departure from what the Founders intended for our federal governing bodies. I have long called for this solution for the brokenness of Washington, D.C., and I will continue fighting to hold career politicians accountable."
News, Not Noise
- Ex-FBI boss has 'grave concern' FISA court was 'defrauded intentionally' in Russia probe
- FBI's cozy relations with reporters often backfired, ending with inaccurate scandal stories
- The Biden Cabinet nominee who can't seem to get her math straight
- Scientists observe ‘first known space hurricane’ raining electrons down on Earth
- Mississippi judge orders new election after finding 79% of absentee ballots invalid