FBI confirms body found in Wyoming was Gabby Petito, homicide suspected
Police continue to search for Petito's fiancé Brian Laundrie after FBI confirms she was murdered.
The FBI on Tuesday confirmed that the remains investigators found on Sunday in Wyoming belonged to 22-year-old travel blogger Gabby Petito.
"Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue confirmed the remains are those of Gabrielle Venora Petito, date of birth March 19, 1999. Coroner Blue's initial determination for the manner of death is homicide. The cause of death remains pending final autopsy results," the FBI tweeted Tuesday with a statement from the Jackson, Wyo., coroner.
According to the Associated Press, Petito disappeared while on a cross-country van trip with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie. Conversations with her mother appeared to reveal Petito had "more and more tension" with Laundrie, a police affidavit for a search warrant indicates.
Laundrie currently remains a person of interest, however, he has been missing since last week.
Petito's disappearance has garnered vast media attention, with the hashtag #gabbypetito receiving more than 650 million views on Tik Tok.
As the search for Laundrie continues, the FBI encourages anyone with information concerning Petito's murder to come forward.
News, not Noise
- Department of Justice issues stinging rebuke of Biden's hope of Jan. 6 prosecutions
- 'Let's Go Brandon': Mischievous meme mocks fake news and a failing presidency
- Liberal comedian Jon Stewart scolds media for blaming Trump for nation's divisiveness
- College withheld exonerating evidence from student who went to prison for sexual assault
- Colin Powell, first black secretary of state, dead at 84 of COVID-19 complications