Rappers Travis Scott, Drake sued over incident at Astroworld Festival that left 8 people dead
The lawsuits claim that the rappers incited the crowd to crush forward and continued their performances during the incident.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Both Travis Scott and Drake are being sued for an incident at Astroworld Festival in Houston, Texas on Friday, where eight people died.
Two concert attendees so far have filed lawsuits. Kristian Paredes, 23, from Austin, Texas, is suing both rappers, NRG Stadium, and Live Nation for more than $1 million in damages after he was injured, The Daily Mail reported.
Paredes was at the front of the general admission section, where a metal barrier separated him from the VIP section. He said he felt an "immediate push" when the countdown to Scott's performance ended and he entered the stage around 9 p.m.
"The crowd became chaotic and a stampede began leaving eight dead and dozens including Kristian Paredes severely injured," according to the lawsuit.
The lawsuit alleges that Drake "came on stage alongside Travis Scott and helped incite the crowd." It also accuses Drake of continuing his performance with Scott "as the crowd became out of control" and "while the crowd mayhem continued."
About 50,000 people attended the concert, which was canceled as the investigation into the incident continues.
The ages of those who died were 14, 16, 21, 21, 23, 23, and 27, with one victim's age still unknown, according to Fox News.
Concert attendee Manuel Souza has filed the other lawsuit, which names Scott, Live Nation, and ScoreMore, and calls the incident a "predictable and preventable tragedy," Billboard reported.
Souza's lawsuit was filed Saturday in Harris County District Court and says that the incident resulted from "a motivation for profit at the expense of concertgoers' health and safety" and the "encouragement of violence."
"Defendants failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner," Souza's attorney, Steve Kherkher, wrote. "Instead, they consciously ignored the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers, and, in some cases actively encouraged and fomented dangerous behaviors."
Scott went through his entire 75-minute performance, although he was filmed calling for help at one point, The Daily Mail reported.
The rapper gave a statement on his Instagram story on Saturday, saying he was working with local authorities and "devastated" about the incident, according to the news outlet.
"My fans really mean the world to me and I always want to leave them with a positive experience," Scott said.
"Anytime I can make out anything that's going on, ya know, I stop the show and you know, help them get the help they need. I could just never imagine the severity of the situation."
"To the ones that was lost last night, we're working right now to ID the families so we can help assist them through this tough time," he continued.
"I'm honestly just devastated… I could never imagine anything like this just happening."
Scott's girlfriend, Kylie Jenner, who's expecting her second child with him, gave a statement on her Instagram story, writing, "Travis and I are broken and devastated. My thoughts and prayers are with all who lost their lives, were injured or affected in anyway by yesterday's events. And also for Travis who I know cares deeply for his fans and the Houston community."
"I want to make it clear we weren't aware of any fatalities until the news came out after the show and in no world would have continued filming or performing," she continued, according to Fox News. "I am sending my deepest condolences to all the families during this difficult time and will be praying for the healing of everyone who has been impacted."
News, not Noise
- Rising country Christian star says Nashville recording industry going too woke for audience
- U.S. Marshals capture more than 1,500 fugitives in 10 cities
- North Carolina voters abandoning Democrats, switching to GOP as part of a national trend
- House GOP ratchets up pressure on Secret Service in bid to challenge Trump aide's J6 testimony
- DOJ contradicts federal law with lawsuit against Arizona citizenship voter law