China touts meetings with Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass
Chinese officials have met with Bass on multiple occasions.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
China has been touting the relationship its officials have with Los Angeles Democrat Mayor Karen Bass, a former U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee member.
Before she was elected mayor, Chinese media in July wrote about how Bass met with Chinese entrepreneurs. Photos show her posing at the time with an entrepreneur holding a sign for "Asian Pacific Islander American Public Affairs," the same organization in which suspected Chinese spy Fang Fang started as a college student, then rose through the ranks to gain access to California political circles.
Shortly before Los Angeles' 2022 mayoral election, in September, another Chinese news website published an article with the translated title, "Heavyweight elected officials endorse Los Angeles mayoral candidate Bass [in] visit [to] Chinatown."
The article detailed Bass's endorsements from prominent figures in the Chinese community.
When Bass was inaugurated in December, the Chinese consulate general in Los Angeles announced that Consulate General Zhang Ping and his wife were invited to attend the ceremony.
The Chinese government website features a photo of the diplomat and his wife posing with Bass.
Most recently, Lin Songtian, member of the Chinese Communist Party's advisory body and president of the Chinese People's Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries, a State Department designated CPP mission, met with Bass.
In an interview with the Myanmar China Network earlier this month, Lin shared photos from his meeting last month with Bass' office.
Just News, No Noise
- Memos from 2018-19 shake up Trump case: Cohen denied having incriminating evidence on hush money
- Judge impressed by evidence of Biden administration coercion in social media censorship case
- Trump grand jury hearing canceled ahead of possible indictment: reports
- John Solomon sues DOJ, National Archives over access to declassified Trump-Russia probe memos
- Biden blames MAGA Republicans for bill reversing ESG rule that received votes from Democrats