Pompeo: EU and U.S. must work together on China threat
'There is a transatlantic awakening to the truth of what’s happening'
June 25, 2020 - 3:52pm
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday that the U.S. and European Union are working together to deal with the China threat.
Pompeo said he had accepted a proposal by EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell to create a formal U.S.-EU dialogue on China.
“There is a transatlantic awakening to the truth of what’s happening,” Pompeo told a think-tank event via video link. “This isn’t the United States confronting China, this is the world confronting China,” he said.
Details are few about the proposed dialogue, however, EU diplomats said it could be a forum for tackling issues such as how to combat what the West says is Chinese disinformation.
Pompeo, who said he would travel to Europe soon to host the first session, said that the EU must stand up to Beijing who he says abuses the rules-based trading system and steals intellectual property.
News, Not Noise
- Vindicated? Trump-touted COVID-19 drug hydroxychloroquine works, according to new study
- House Democrat Schiff had intel back in February of Russian bounties on U.S. soldiers: report
- Congresswoman on reparations: It's America's 'responsibility to pay her debt' for slavery
- Texas hospital CEO: COVID inpatient count 'misinterpreted,' level of alarm 'unwarranted'
- Major Pizza Hut, Wendy's franchisee files for bankruptcy