Capitol Police say an officer died while off-duty on Saturday
Officer Howard Liebengood was present at the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, according to reports.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
The United States Capitol Police on Sunday said that 51-year-old Officer Howard Liebengood died while off-duty on Jan. 9.
"The United States Capitol Police is deeply saddened by the off-duty death on January 9, 2021, of Officer Howard Liebengood, age 51," a press release said, without noting the cause for the officer's death. "He was assigned to the Senate Division, and has been with the Department since April 2005. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and colleagues."
Liebengood "was among the officers who responded to the rioting at the U.S. Capitol" on Wednesday, the Capitol Police union indicated, according to the New York Times.
News, Not Noise
- First Trump declassified Russia document: Christopher Steele's 2017 confession to the FBI
- Trump formally declassifies Russia documents over objections of FBI
- Does Inaugural display symbolizing 56 U.S. states, territories signal Biden support for new states?
- President Trump says goodbye (for now) at Joint Base Andrews, vows, 'We will be back'
- Trump pardons Steve Bannon, rapper Lil Wayne in final wave of clemency