Biden extends Trump-era 'emergency' ban on U.S. investments in Chinese military linked companies
President Biden plans on meeting face-to-face next week with Chinese President Xi for the first time since entering the Oval Office.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
President Biden has extended former President Trump's ban on U.S. companies or individuals investing in businesses that are linked to the Chinese military.
Trump issued the ban in November 2020 with an executive order.
Biden extended the ban Tuesday, ahead of its Nov. 12 expiration.
The White House said the extension is to "deal with the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy and economy of the United States" posed by specific investments in Chinese companies.
Biden expanded the order in June 2021 – to include U.S. investments in businesses associated with China's intelligence or security industries.
The one-year extension came a day before Biden said he plans on meeting face-to-face with Chinese President Xi Jinping for the first time since entering the Oval Office.
"I’m looking for competition, not conflict," Biden said at a press conference when asked about his upcoming meeting with the leader of the world's second largest economy behind that of the United States.
The president said he wants to "understand what [Xi] believes to be in the critical national interests of China, what I know to be the critical interests of the United States, and to determine whether or not they conflict with one another. And if they do, how to resolve it and how to work it out."
Just News, No Noise
- Homeland sees ‘heightened threat’ of attacks on churches, cops and feds ahead of 2024 election
- Nearly everyone infected with COVID-19 at CDC event was vaccinated: agency survey
- Debt deal frays GOP unity McCarthy enjoyed since Speaker battle as prominent conservatives bolt
- House Freedom Caucus blasts debt deal: 'This is a career-defining vote for every Republican'
- McCarthy vows to hold FBI Director Wray in contempt over Biden probe