Melania Trump releases statement on Capitol breach: 'violence is never acceptable'
The first lady thanked the 'millions of Americans' who have supported her and her husband these past four years
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
On Monday, First Lady Melania Trump issued a statement on last week's events at the Capitol building.
"I am disappointed and disheartened with what happened last week," said the first lady. "Our Nation must heal in a civil manner. Make no mistake about it, I absolutely condemn the violence that has occurred on our Nation's Capitol. Violence is never acceptable."
Last Wednesday, a group of protestors breached the Capitol building in an attempt to disrupt the electoral certification that was occurring during a joint congressional session.
Five, including a U.S. Capitol Police officer, died during the events of the day, and a second police officer took his life over the weekend.
"I pray for their families comfort and strength during this difficult time," said the first lady.
The statement goes on to apparently criticize a CNN report that claimed the first lady was supervising a photoshoot at the time of the Capitol breach. She condemns the report as "salacious gossip, unwarranted personal attacks, and false misleading accusations on me - from people who are looking to be relevant and have an agenda."
Melania Trump, who has typically shied away from commenting publicly or getting involved in most of the administration's policies during her husband's time at the White House, ended the statement with a message of thanks for the American people.
"I want to thank the millions of Americans who supported my husband and me over the past 4 years and shown the incredible impact of the American spirit. I am grateful to you all for letting me serve you on platforms which are dear to me," reads the statement. Adding that it "has been the honor of my lifetime to serve as your first lady."