ICE agent charged with assault, false reporting of crime in shooting of Venezuelan migrant
ICE agent Christian Castro was charged with four counts of assault in the second degree and one count of falsely reporting a crime in connection with the shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis.
Minnesota prosecutors charged an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent with two crimes Monday after he allegedly shot a Venezuelan migrant in the leg during an operation earlier this year.
The shooting occurred in Minneapolis in January, when federal agents were allegedly ambushed by shovel-wielding suspects. The incident allegedly occurred during a targeted traffic stop of a Venezuelan migrant, but former acting ICE Director Todd Lyons said in February officials were investigating whether two federal officers lied about the incident under oath.
ICE agent Christian Castro was charged with four counts of assault in the second degree and one count of falsely reporting a crime in connection with the shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis, NBC News reported.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty claimed Castro fired four shots at a house “with the intent to cause fear of immediate bodily harm or death to the four adults who were just inside the door."
“Mr. Castro fired his service weapon at the front door of the home, knowing there were people who had just run inside that presented absolutely no threat to him or anyone else,” Moriarty said. “The bullet punched through the front door and struck Mr. Sosa-Celis’ leg before traveling through a closet and lodging in the wall of a child’s bedroom.”
Moriarty claimed the incident was a case of "mistaken identity" and both men were in Minnesota legally.
The Department of Homeland Security has not commented on the new charges so far, but Castro and the other officer were placed on leave when the allegations of lying under oath were made.
Misty Severi is a news reporter for Just The News. You can follow her on X for more coverage.