California dance studio shooter made allegations to police before attack, officials say
Tran told officers he would return with documentation to support his allegations, but he did not, police said.
The man identified as the shooter in the mass killing this past weekend at a Los Angles-area dance hall visited police earlier this month to make multiple allegations involving fraud, theft and poisoning, authorities say.
The shooter Huu Can Tran, who took his own life Saturday evening as police found and trailed in van, fatally shot 11 people inside the Monterey Park, California, dance hall earlier in the day.
Police in Hemet, Calif., the town in which Tran lived, nearly two hours away from the crime scene, said Monday that he had visited the department on Jan. 7 and 9 to make "past fraud, theft, and poisoning allegations involving his family in the Los Angeles area 10 to 20 years ago."
Tran, 72, said he would return to the department with documentation to support his claims, but he did not, according to police.
On Saturday evening, Tran allegedly opened fire in the Star Ballroom Dance Studio before going to the Lai Lai Ballroom in Alhambra, Calif., where he was disarmed before he could shoot.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said Sunday that Tran was found deceased with a self-inflicted wound.
Investigators are searching for a motive behind the shooting. His ex-wife, who asked to not be named, told CNN that she met Tran nearly two decades ago at the Star Ballroom where he gave informal lessons.
Just News, No Noise
- House bill rescinding $71B for 87k IRS agents stalled in Senate after nearly 4 weeks without vote
- Panel that awarded Pulitzers for Russiagate stories mum after scathing exposé on reporting failures
- U.S. shoots down Chinese balloon over Atlantic
- 'Refuse to be canceled,' near-canceled legal scholar tells students
- Thirty-year-old Portuguese dog breaks record for oldest dog ever recorded