Federal indictment returned against illegal immigrant who allegedly attacked Paul Pelosi with hammer
Assault allegedly occurred at Pelosi residence in San Francisco.
The purported illegal immigrant alleged to have assaulted Paul Pelosi with a hammer in his home last month has been served with a federal indictment, the U.S. Department of Justice said this week.
David DePape was "charged with one count of assault upon an immediate family member of a U.S. official with the intent to retaliate against the official on account of the performance of official duties," the DOJ said in a press release on Wednesday.
DePape, who federal officials have said is in the country illegally, was "also charged with one count of attempted kidnapping of a U.S. official on account of the performance of official duties."
The accused faces up to 50 years in prison if convicted on both counts.
The attack against Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul on Oct. 28 shocked the nation. During the incident, DePape allegedly broke into the Pelosi residence seeking Nancy Pelosi herself, police say. The speaker was in Washington at the time, however, and only her husband Paul was home.
Paul managed to phone the police, who showed up a short while later; almost immediately after they arrived, DePape allegedly smashed Pelosi's head with a hammer, sending him to the hospital, from which he was eventually released.