Elon Musk warns that Twitter is manipulating its users
Former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey explained why the algorithm system is in place
Elon Musk on Saturday instructed users on how to "fix" their Twitter feeds and said they are being "manipulated" by the platform's algorithm.
"Very important to fix your Twitter feed:
- Tap home button.
- Tap stars on upper right of screen.
- Select 'Latest tweets'.
You are being manipulated by the algorithm in ways you don’t realize. Easy to switch back & forth to see the difference."
He jokingly added that his warning was brought to users "by the Illuminaughty."
Former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, who has voiced support for Musk's potential takeover of the platform, explained the practice in a reply to the Tesla CEO.
Dorsey said that "it was designed simply to save you time when you are away from app for a while."
He added, "[I]t wasn’t designed to manipulate. [I]t was designed to catch you up and work off what you engage with. [T]hat can [definitely] have unintended consequences [though]."
Dorsey acknowledged that Twitter doesn't "make it easy" for users to determine whether to use the algorithm or not.
Just News, No Noise
- Growing number of GOP leaders, elected officials say it's time for a change in RNC leadership
- Seven more Texas counties express support for declaring invasion at border; bringing total to 40
- Stanford president under investigation after school newspaper report about possible academic fraud
- As 71% in poll say Maricopa County issues tipped Senate race, judge sanctions Kari Lake lawyers
- Vermont backs down on religion-free school choice after SCOTUS knocks down Maine policy