Trump calls charges against Trump Organization 'political Witch Hunt by the Radical Left Democrats'
"The political Witch Hunt by the Radical Left Democrats, with New York now taking over the assignment, continues. It is dividing our Country like never before!" Trump said.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Former President Trump on Thursday called the charges being brought against the Trump Organization and its chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg "a political witch hunt."
"The political Witch Hunt by the Radical Left Democrats, with New York now taking over the assignment, continues. It is dividing our Country like never before!" Trump said in a statement.
"Do people see the Radical Left prosecutors, and what they are trying to do to 75M+++ Voters and Patriots, for what it is?" he added in another statement on Thursday afternoon.
Weisselberg and lawyers for the business plead not guilty, according to the Associated Press.
Weisselberg surrendered Thursday to authorities, before the federal charges were unsealed.
The news outlet reported that according to the indictment, from 2005 through 2021 the company and Weisselberg avoided paying taxes through a scheme to pay senior executives off the books via fringe benefits and other means.
Weisselberg is alleged to have avoided paying the federal government and the state and city of New York more than $900,000 in taxes and undeserved tax refunds, according to the wire service.
The case is being headed by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. and New York Attorney General Letitia James, who are Democrats.
News, not Noise
- Michael Flynn files $50 million claim against feds in prelude to lawsuit over Russia probe
- Georgia Gov. Kemp, allies shield details of major Rivian deal from public view ahead of GOP primary
- Trial opens for Clinton campaign lawyer accused of lying to FBI while planting Trump-Russia tale
- Supreme Court rules for Cruz in case of cap on campaign funds to repay personal campaign loans
- Oklahoma governor warns Native American tribes against creating abortion havens