Judge in New York lifts contempt of court order placed on Donald Trump

The order was lifted after the former president paid a number of fines.

Updated: June 30, 2022 - 2:51pm

A New York judge lifted the contempt of court order levied against former President Donald Trump, putting an end to the legal battle that played out over several months after the former president failed to turn over key documents pertaining to an investigation into his business.

Trump has now met the required conditions for the order to be lifted after he forked over $110,000 in fines last month. That cash will be held as Trump appeals the order that originally found him in contempt back in April.

"Although we are pleased that the court has lifted the contempt finding, we maintain that it was wholly unwarranted and improper in the first place. We will push ahead with our appeal to secure justice for our client," said Alina Habba, an attorney representing Trump.

Judge Arthur Engoron agreed to lift the order back in May if Trump met a number of conditions, including paying all the fines he owed by refusing to comply with a subpoena from New York Attorney General Letitia James related to her investigation into the Trump business organization.

Trump's attorneys have repeatedly told the court that he does not possess the documents he has been asked to produce.

The former president and his legal team have accused James' investigation into the Trump Organization of being politically motivated. His attorneys have filed a suit in federal court to suspend the pending inquiry. However, in July, Trump and two of his children are scheduled to testify as part of James' ongoing investigation after being ordered to appear for deposition in February.

Just the News Spotlight