Gaetz says CNN story that he was denied meeting with former President Trump 'total lie'
"When can we expect a retraction?" the Florida congressman asked.
Trump ally Rep. Matt Gaetz says a news report stating he was denied a meeting with former President Trump is a "total lie," amid a federal probe into whether the Florida Republican was involved in sex trafficking.
A CNN article Sunday, based on unnamed sources, states Donald Trump aides rejected a meeting.
"This is a total lie," Gaetz tweeted to CNN journalist Gabby Orr, one of the news operation's reporters whose byline was on the online story. "I am on a pre-planned vacation with my fiancée. I was welcomed at Trump Doral days ago. No such meeting was denied nor sought. Gabby, 'unnamed sources,' lied. When can we expect a retraction?"
A group female Trump supporters held an event this past weekend at the Trump-owned Doral National country club in Miami, while Republican donors met in Florida's Palm Beach, which included a closing speech by Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort.
Gaetz and Trump's spokespeople have denied the CNN story.
Two unnamed sources told CNN that Trump's aides urged the former president to distance himself for Gaetz.
"Congressman Matt Gaetz has never asked me for a pardon," Trump said last week. "It must also be remembered that he has totally denied the accusations against him."
News, not Noise
- Parents of alleged Michigan high school shooter return for arraignment, not on the run, attorneys
- Early lids, lighter duty: Biden schedule marked by fewer events, more getaways than predecessors
- 'Laptop from Hell' author: Biden lied about not knowing of 'Hunter's overseas business dealings'
- Too good to fact-check? Academic journal publishes hoax on conservative takeover of higher ed
- Outrageous tab: Minnesota school charges $901,000 for critical race theory records