Gaetz says CNN story that he was denied meeting with former President Trump 'total lie'
"When can we expect a retraction?" the Florida congressman asked.
Trump ally Rep. Matt Gaetz says a news report stating he was denied a meeting with former President Trump is a "total lie," amid a federal probe into whether the Florida Republican was involved in sex trafficking.
A CNN article Sunday, based on unnamed sources, states Donald Trump aides rejected a meeting.
"This is a total lie," Gaetz tweeted to CNN journalist Gabby Orr, one of the news operation's reporters whose byline was on the online story. "I am on a pre-planned vacation with my fiancée. I was welcomed at Trump Doral days ago. No such meeting was denied nor sought. Gabby, 'unnamed sources,' lied. When can we expect a retraction?"
A group female Trump supporters held an event this past weekend at the Trump-owned Doral National country club in Miami, while Republican donors met in Florida's Palm Beach, which included a closing speech by Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort.
Gaetz and Trump's spokespeople have denied the CNN story.
Two unnamed sources told CNN that Trump's aides urged the former president to distance himself for Gaetz.
"Congressman Matt Gaetz has never asked me for a pardon," Trump said last week. "It must also be remembered that he has totally denied the accusations against him."
News, Not Noise
- House Republicans ask Secretary of State for documents related to Wuhan coronavirus lab
- New NASA head pledges to shoot for Trump 2024 deadline of putting another man on the moon
- Arizona Senate, Maricopa Co. mull next steps in standoff over routers subpoenaed in vote audit
- Fauci's agency spent over $400k on experiments grafting aborted fetal scalps onto mice and rats
- Minnesota school district adopts Black Lives Matter slogan as privileged 'government speech'