Trump believes he would beat DeSantis in 2024 primary
The former president said that he hasn't spoken with the Florida Gov. about his 2024 plans.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Former President Donald Trump say he is not sure that GOP heavyweight Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis will run for president in 2024, but if he does, Trump believes he will win.
"I don't know if Ron is running, and I don't ask him," Trump told the New Yorker magazine in an interview. "It's his prerogative. I think I would win."
The former president and de-facto leader of the Republican party has hinted repeatedly about his intention to run in 2024.
He told the magazine that he was "very close to making a decision." Some inside the GOP believe Trump may officially announce his bid after the midterm elections, during which Republicans are expected to win back a majority in the House and possibly the Senate.
Trump endorsed DeSantis during his 2018 bid, which he narrowly won. He told the magazine that he and the Florida leader have a "very good relationship."
DeSantis has not ruled out a potential presidential bid and often declines to comment on his future political ambitions. For the moment, he says, he is focused on his job as governor and winning reelection this cycle.
Speculation continues that there may eventually be a showdown between Trump and DeSantis for leadership of the Republican party.
Just News, No Noise
- Manchin caves, Senate advances continuing resolution without permitting reform
- Ex-FBI official who led Unabomber task force decries deployment of SWAT teams for Jan. 6 arrests
- At White House conference, Biden appears to search for congresswoman who died last month
- Trump pleads for Biden to make Russia-Ukraine deal, offers to help negotiate
- FBI had 5 informants with Oath Keepers, none provided evidence of guilt: Defense lawyer