Trump slams Sessions ahead of Alabama GOP primary runoff as 'a disaster who has let us all down'
Sessions responded to the president's put-down, saying, "Alabama does not take orders from Washington."
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
President Trump on Saturday blasted his former Attorney General Jeff Sessions while broadcasting his support for former Auburn University football coach Tommy Tuberville ahead of Alabama's GOP Senate primary runoff election slated for this Tuesday.
"Big Senate Race in Alabama on Tuesday. Vote for @TTuberville, he is a winner who will never let you down. Jeff Sessions is a disaster who has let us all down. We don’t want him back in Washington!" the president tweeted Saturday morning.
Sessions, who hopes to return to the U.S. Senate to represent Alabama, responded to the president's put-down, saying that the state "does not take orders from Washington."
"I’ve taken the road less travelled," Sessions tweeted. "Not sought fame or fortune. My honor and integrity are far more important than these juvenile insults. Your scandal ridden candidate is too cowardly to debate. As you know, Alabama does not take orders from Washington."
Sessions, who recused himself from the Russia investigation, has previously come under fire from Trump. The president earlier this year issued an endorsement of Tuberville.
News, Not Noise
- New State memos disclose relentless pressure by Hunter Biden-connected Ukrainian firm
- Stars' donations helped bail out suspects charged with 'murder, violent felonies, sex crimes'
- McConnell: Dems won't allow 'a penny' in stimulus 'unless Texas and Florida bail out New Jersey'
- DOJ lawyer suggests possibility that undisclosed info factored into Flynn dismissal request
- 'Squad' member Ilhan Omar survives tough Democratic primary in Minnesota