U.S. government no longer attempting to silence Michael Cohen prior to book release

Cohen's tell-all book about his time with the president is scheduled for release prior to the November election

Image
Michael Cohen
Michael Cohen leaving his New York apartment in May 2019
(Atilgan Ozdil/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)
Updated: July 30, 2020 - 3:10pm

The U.S. government announced Thursday that it will no longer require former personal President Trump attorney Michael Cohen, to avoid speaking with media ahead of the release of his book about his former boss.

The agreement between government lawyers and Cohen's attorney, Danya Perry, will soon be signed by a federal judge. Cohen is currently serving out the remainder of his three-year prison sentence from his Park Avenue home. In 2019, he pleaded guilty to charges of campaign violations and lying to Congress.

Cohen, 53, was released from prison in May amid fears of the novel coronavirus spreading in U.S. jails. He was required to return to prison earlier this month after publicizing the forthcoming, tell-all book about his time spent with the president.

According to court documents, the book, titled, "Disloyal: The True Story of Michael Cohen, Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump," is set to be released prior to the November presidential election. 

Attorneys of Cohen filed suit against Attorney General Bill Barr for sending their client back to prison over his book. Cohen was re-released last week, though the Barr said during a congressional hearing Tuesday that the decisin to send Cohen back to prison was made by the Bureau of Prisons, and not the Justice Department. 

In a written statement, Cohen has said that his book “will provide graphic and unflattering details about the president’s behavior behind closed doors.”

Shop Our Store