Florida Gov. DeSantis announces phase one of state's reopening
Three counties were not included in phase one which is scheduled to begin on Monday
April 29, 2020 - 6:47pm
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis says the state will begin phase one of its reopening process on Monday, except in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.
Restaurants will have to comply with occupancy restrictions of 25% inside and at least 6 feet of space between tables outside.
DeSantis in announcing the gradual reopening from the coronavirus also said that some retail stores, like Home Depot, have already been operating, but restrictions will be eased and retail stores will now be allowed to run at 25% capacity indoors.
"Other retail was never closed down in any of the orders I did," he said. "People would do curbside delivery. They would do phone orders. But the essential activity was not considered going into a store and congregating for retail unless the retail was deemed essential business. We're now relaxing that."
Restrictions on bars, gyms and hair salons will not yet be lifted.
Elective surgeries will be allowed across the state provided that facilities follow certain requirements.
Schools will continue conducting remote learning, and visitors will not be allowed at senior living facilities, though DeSantis said that the visitation rules could be eased if there were sufficient rapid tests to screen visitors before entry or perhaps if a person has taken an antibody test.
He said that the there will be more testing sites added throughout the state.
News, Not Noise
- You Vote: Do you think Antifa is a domestic terrorist organization?
- Black cop, white victim, no riots: A 2017 Minneapolis killing foreshadowed failed police reforms
- Trump to designate Antifa as a terrorist organization, wants FBI to pursue members
- Sanders says 'ultra-rich' have been ‘looting’ for 40 years, amid looting of businesses and banks
- Declassified transcripts add to evidence that FBI had no legal basis to interview Michael Flynn