Falwell drops suit against Liberty University, after resigning from school amid scandal
Falwell alleged in suit Liberty damaged his reputation by accepting false statements without verification.
Jerry Falwell Jr. has dropped his defamation suit against Liberty University, after resigned in August as the leader of the Christian school amid a series of scandals.
Falwell’s attorneys on Wednesday informed the Lynchburg Circuit Court, in Virginia, that they would not pursue their client's claim, according to The Washington Post.
Falwell alleged in the suit the school damaged his reputation by accepting without verifying false statements made by a man who had an affair with Falwell’s wife, then attempted to extort the couple.
The school said in a statement that its leaders are pleased Falwell has dropped the lawsuit, the newspaper reports. Falwell in acknowledging the suit being dropped said he’s taking a “time out” from litigation.
The series of scandals started in August when Falwell was suspended after posting a photo on social media of his arm around his wife’s assistant showing their zippers partially down exposing their stomachs.
The same day that Falwell resigned later that month, a young businessman publicly claimed that he had had an extramarital affair involving both Falwell and his wife, Becki.
Becki Falwell acknowledged the affair but she and her husband denied that Falwell Jr. was involved.
In the lawsuit, Falwell argues that nobody from Liberty’s board of trustees asked him about the businessman’s allegations. It also states Falwell was forced to resign.
The school told The Post, “Falwell’s unilateral and voluntary dismissal was not prompted by any payments, promises, or other consideration from Liberty.”
News, Not Noise
- Mystery deepens over Biden Interior nominee's finances as she files third amended ethics report
- Cuomo accused of harassment, 'hostility' and 'dirty tricks' against woman while HUD chief
- Fauci's flip-flops: How 'America’s Doctor' has repeatedly reversed himself during Covid crisis
- 'Trump will be your president long before 2024,': MyPillow's Lindell amid Dominion defamation suit
- Senator Romney knocked unconscious from weekend fall, requiring stitches to lip, eyebrow