Draft Tucker PAC stops trying to push Carlson to run for president after legal threat
The cease-and-desist letter from Carlson's attorney comes days after the PAC unveiled its first ad, which was scheduled to run on Newsmax for a week.
The Draft Tucker PAC, which tried to urge former Fox News host Tucker Carlson to run for President, has stopped its activities after Carlson's lawyer Harmeet Dhillon sent the PAC officials a cease-and-desist letter.
"Mr. Carlson will not run for President in 2024 under any circumstances, and therefore your misrepresentations are damaging to Mr. Carlson and defrauding his supporters," Dhillon wrote in a letter Monday, The Hill reported.
"If you do not immediately cease and desist your efforts to solicit money to 'draft' Mr. Carlson, we will use every legal means at our disposal to vindicate his rights and protect his supporters from these misrepresentations," she also wrote.
Dhillon said in the letter that the PAC did not have Carlson's permission to use his name or image in their efforts.
The cease-and-desist letter comes days after the PAC unveiled its first ad, which was scheduled to run on Newsmax for a week. The PAC said it asked Newsmax to pull its ads following the letter.
"Tucker’s attorney has contacted us to let us know that Tucker is not a candidate for president nor has any intentions of running and asked us to cease all activities on his behalf. We are going to honor that request," PAC spokesperson Charlie Kolean said.
PAC chairman Chris Ekstrom told the D.C.-based outlet that he had put $35,000 of his own money into the effort and it had raised $212 online so far. He said the PAC will either donate the $212 to a charity that Carlson supports or refund it to the contributors.