Jocelyn Benson poised to win reelection for Michigan secretary of state
Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson was about 7% ahead of Kristina Karamo.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson (D) is poised to win her reelection bid on Tuesday over GOP nominee Kristina Karamo.
NBC News projected the win with Benson at 52.7% and Karamo at 45%, with 47% of the vote reported.
The Associated Press had yet to call the race with Benson at 51.8% and Karamo at 45.9%.
Benson has fought the Republican National Committee and the Michigan GOP in court over her guidance to poll workers prior to the 2022 midterm election. Republicans had sued over Benson's guidance, saying that it restricts their right to challenge vote counts. Last week, the state Supreme Court ruled to maintain Benson's guidance because of the closeness to Election Day, which was a reversal of a lower court's ruling that had invalidated provisions of the guidance.
Karamo, who was endorsed by Trump, sued the Detroit city clerk and the city's board of election inspectors on Oct. 26 to reject all absentee ballots cast in Detroit. The lawsuit was dismissed by Wayne County Chief Circuit Judge Timothy Kenny on Monday, who said that Karamo's claim that the city clerk's procedures for the midterm election violated state election law was "unjustified."
Karamo was a community college educator and previously a poll challenger in Detroit, claiming to have witnessed fraud in the 2020 presidential election. She has called for a forensic audit of that election.
Just News, No Noise
- Memos from 2018-19 shake up Trump case: Cohen denied having incriminating evidence on hush money
- Judge impressed by evidence of Biden administration coercion in social media censorship case
- John Solomon sues DOJ, National Archives over access to declassified Trump-Russia probe memos
- Biden blames MAGA Republicans for bill reversing ESG rule that received votes from Democrats
- Russia says its fighter jets stopped U.S. bombers flying over Baltic Sea