Soros tops all 2022 political donors with $126 million, roughly double that of Nos. 2 or 3, report
The next two top donors this year are Republicans Richard Uihlein and Kenneth C. Griffin.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
The largest donor by far this year reportedly is George Soros, a Democrat whose contributions of at least $126 million are nearly double that of either of the next two largest donors.
The next two are Republicans Richard Uihlein and Kenneth C. Griffin, each of whom have given roughly $67 million this year, according to an analysis by The New York Times of the campaign-donation tracking website OpenScrets.org.
The newspaper calls Soros' total "deceptive” because essentially all of his contributions, $125 million, went to his political action committee, Democracy PAC, which disbursed just $15 million of the sum.
The newspaper's analysis also found political spending on this year's midterm elections will "shatter" records at the state and federal levels.
The report also concluded the record spending is being fueled by an expanding class of billionaires and that much of it comes from super political action committees, or super PACs, funded largely by GOP mega-doners.
"We've broken records with our broken records," SheilaKrumholz, executive director of the Open Secrets, told the newspaper.
The nonprofit site estimates total spending in 2021 and 2022 will hit $16.7 billion when tallied after Election Day.
That sum would easily surpass the previous midterm record of $14 billion set in 2018.
Just News, No Noise
- National Archives admits over 1,100 Biden records pages at Penn office, lacks custody of others
- World Health Organization puts CDC on defense by drastically narrowing COVID vax recommendations
- McCarthy on Trump indictment: NY prosecutor 'irreparably damaged' America, Congress will intervene
- Durham bombshell: Prosecutor unveils smoking gun FBI text message, 'joint venture' to smear Trump
- Manhattan prosecutors secure grand jury indictment against Trump, thrusting nation into new turmoil