Dow closes Monday with modest gains
Dow Jones Industrial Average's nearly 700 point gain follows a roughly 900 point loss at the close of last week
March 30, 2020 - 4:21pm
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed Monday up 690 points. The gains, a 3.19 percentage increase, follow a nearly 1,000-point loss on Friday, continuing the financial markets' up-and-down pattern since the coronavirus started impacting them earlier this year.
Analysts attribute the gains to higher stock prices for health care companies, which have testing devices and other products in the pipeline that could help in the coronavirus pandemic.
The S&P 500 on Monday gained 85 points. The index erased earlier losses Monday and last week but remains about 23 percent below its record high last month.
News, Not Noise
- Prestigious medical journal urges outpatient use of hydroxychloroquine regimen for COVID-19
- Trump sends National Guard to intervene in Minneapolis
- Former GOP Senator and Secretary of Defense Hagel says he's backing Biden in November
- George Floyd autopsy found 'no physical findings...of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation'
- Trump terminates relationship with WHO, unveils trade and security punishments for China