Inmate released from Florida jail during virus outbreak allegedly killed another man next day
Jails across the country are releasing some inmates because of the virus
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
A man released from a Florida jail because of the coronavirus reportedly killed someone the following day.
Officials say the inmate, Joseph Edward Williams, 26, on March 20 fatally shot another man in Tampa, Florida, after he and roughly 160 other inmates were released from Hillsborough County jails, according to The New York Times.
The jail system, like others across the country, has released non-violent criminals because the deadly virus is fast spreading in close quarters like jails.
Williams was arrested this week on several charges including second-degree murder and resisting arrest, The Times also reports.
Williams reportedly had a criminal history including burglary but was in jail before being released last month on drug-related charges and other non-violent charges.
Just News, No Noise
- As House GOP secures first cooperation in Biden probe, pressure grows for damage assessment
- GOP Sen. Cotton vows to stall nominations until Congress gets Biden, Trump classified docs
- Brits yank back COVID vaccination program as US plunges forward with one-size-fits-all strategy
- Former FBI assistant director of Intelligence says the FBI should do a damage report on Biden family
- Progressive group slams Schiff after Senate campaign announcement