Inmate released from Florida jail during virus outbreak allegedly killed another man next day
Jails across the country are releasing some inmates because of the virus
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
A man released from a Florida jail because of the coronavirus reportedly killed someone the following day.
Officials say the inmate, Joseph Edward Williams, 26, on March 20 fatally shot another man in Tampa, Florida, after he and roughly 160 other inmates were released from Hillsborough County jails, according to The New York Times.
The jail system, like others across the country, has released non-violent criminals because the deadly virus is fast spreading in close quarters like jails.
Williams was arrested this week on several charges including second-degree murder and resisting arrest, The Times also reports.
Williams reportedly had a criminal history including burglary but was in jail before being released last month on drug-related charges and other non-violent charges.
Just News, No Noise
- J6 Unmasked: Security footage confirms Capitol door opened, allowing 300 to enter building freely
- J6 Unmasked: Footage confirms open Senate door allowed 300 to enter Capitol – Just the News Now
- GOP lawmaker excoriates Jan. 6 committee as new footage comes to light
- PGA Tour agrees to merge with Saudi-backed LIV Golf
- WATCH fateful moment senate door unlocks allowing hundreds in the Capitol on January 6th