Mayorkas repeatedly refuses to call border migration influx 'crisis'
Mayorkas is expected to answer questions from House members regarding the Southern Border, the Jan. 6 Capitol riots as well as other topics.
Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas told Congress on Wednesday repeatedly refused to answer whether or not the massive influx of migrants at the southern border was a "crisis" while testifying to the House Homeland Security Committee.
"While we remain vigilant about the threat of foreign terrorism, ideologically motivated domestic violent extremism. Now poses the most lethal and persistent terrorism-related threat to the homeland today. The January 6 attack on the US Capitol and on American democracy is a searing example of this threat," Mayorkas said.
Mayorkas refused to call the situation at the southern border a "crisis."
"I'm not spending any time when the language that we use. I am spending time on the operational response to the situation at the border," Mayorkas said when asked by New York Republican Rep. John Katko whether it was fair to call the situation at the Southern Border a "crisis."
House Rep. Andrew Clyde asked Mayorkas if he agreed if there was a crisis at the southern border "yes or no' terms.
"We have a very serious challenge, and I don't think the difficulty of that challenge could be overstated," Mayorkas replied. "we also have a plan to address it, we are executing on our plan, and we will succeed. That's what we do."
Mayorkas also said that "ideologically motivated domestic violent extremism" is the greatest threat to the U.S. since the Sept. 11 attacks
News, not Noise
- Rep. Brian Babin accuses White House press secretary of lying about 51 migrant deaths
- Jan. 6 panel effort to blame Trump for violence ignores pointed warnings Congress got much earlier
- Trump wins big in Illinois primaries, New York GOP picks Zeldin over Giuliani
- One year after Biden touted saving Americans 16 cents, July 4th cookouts cost $10 more
- Rep. Mary Miller defeats Rep. Rodney Davis in Illinois House GOP primary