Alec Baldwin's attorney speaks after Santa Fe DA gets funds for 'Rust' prosecutions
In announcing the funding, DA Mary Carmack-Altwies previously identified the actor as a possible defendant.
Following an announcement from the Santa Fe District Attorney that the office had secured funding for prosecutions in connection with the filming of "Rust," an attorney for Alec Baldwin has clarified that the actor remains uncharged.
"The DA has made clear that she has not received the sheriff’s report or made any decisions about who, if anyone, might be charged in this case," Baldwin attorney Luke Nikas said, per Deadline.
In October 2021, while filming for "Rust" in New Mexico, Baldwin fatally wounded cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza. Baldwin denied pulling the gun's trigger during the incident, though an FBI report found that the firearm could not have discharged without someone having done so.
In announcing the funding, DA Mary Carmack-Altwies previously identified the actor as a possible defendant. "One of the possible defendants is well known movie actor Alec Baldwin," she stated.
Nikas, however, condemned "false conclusions" from the media and asserted that Baldwin does not yet face any charges.
"During my communications with the DA's office just a few weeks ago, after the August 30 funding request was submitted, I was told that it would be premature to discuss the case because they had not yet reviewed the file or deliberated about their charging decision," he said. "It is irresponsible to report otherwise."
"The DA's office must be given the space to review this matter without unfounded speculation and innuendo," he added.