$630 million fund for Jeffrey Epstein accusers opens
Victims will receive a cut of his $630 million estate
A fund expected to compensate women who were sexually abused by late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein opened on Thursday.
Dozens of women attacked by the financier, who committed suicide last August, will seek a cut of his $630 million estate.
A judge in the Virgin Islands approved the fund this month, facilitating payouts to women abused by Epstein before New York federal prosecutors charged him last year with sex trafficking of women and girls in the early 2000s. He'd long ago been convicted of charges in Florida state court.
Many accusers were underage girls during the alleged abuse, which authorities have said took place over nearly two decades.
Jordana Feldman, an administrator for the fund, said on a conference call she has been working with lawyers representing more than 70 accusers, and that while "far more" accusers may emerge the payouts could be sizable.
The fund does not prevent authorities from criminally charging people who may have enabled Epstein's abuse.
Just News, No Noise
- Big Brother watching? Government agencies buying cell phone, internet data to track Americans
- Trump pleads for Biden to make Russia-Ukraine deal, offers to help negotiate
- Illinois regulator warns half-million mail-in votes could delay election results by up to 2 weeks
- Corey Lewandowski cuts deal to drop misdemeanor battery charge, avoid admission of guilt
- Trump: Death penalty 'only way' to stop drug trafficking