Philadelphia in crisis: 1,000 demonstrators, looters rock streets days before election
"A large crowd of appx 1000 is looting businesses in the area of Castor and Aramingo. Avoid the area," the police tweeted. Pennsylvania governor summoned National Guard.
The city of Philadelphia on Tuesday endured a second night of tension after a police shooting, as the National Guard was summoned to the streets and authorities reported a crowd of about 1,000 people engaged in looting.
"A large crowd of appx 1000 is looting businesses in the area of Castor and Aramingo. Avoid the area," the city police tweeted.
Violence erupted on Monday night following the fatal police shooting of 27-year-old Walter Wallace Jr, who authorities say was wielding a knife and refused to drop it.
Thirty police officers were injured amid the violence on Monday, and earlier on Tuesday it was announced that the Pennsylvania National Guard was being deployed to Philadelphia.
News, Not Noise
- Mattis didn't disclose ties to China-boosting firm in column slamming Trump's 'America First' policy
- Sidney Powell sues Georgia officials, alleging massive scheme to rig election for Joe Biden
- In Michigan lawsuit, Sidney Powell alleges poll workers altered large numbers of ballots
- The dozen belated disclosures that turned the tide in Michael Flynn’s case
- Trump blasts kneeling football players, says ‘long way to go’ on election challenges