DeSantis says Florida is 'blueprint' for GOP after 'disappointing' nationwide midterm performance
Republicans now have a supermajority in the Florida state legislature.
The Facts Inside Our Reporter’s Notebook
Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis says GOP victories in his state can serve as the "blueprint" for the party after "a hugely underwhelming, disappointing performance" in the midterm elections nationwide.
"It was a hugely underwhelming, disappointing performance, especially given that Biden’s policies are overwhelmingly unpopular [and] people think the country is going in the wrong direction," DeSantis said during a press conference Tuesday.
"The one place I think that people can look to as the blueprint is Florida," he said before addressing how Florida has been considered a swing state but is turning red. "I had a very close election. In fact, before I became governor, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, all the major races, governor, presidential, were one point or less for that time."
Republicans now have a supermajority in the Florida state legislature. In the U.S. House, 20 out of the state's 28 districts elected Republicans last week. Nationally, however, GOP candidates did not perform as well, with the Senate projected to remain under Democratic control and the House still undecided.
DeSantis also commented on former President Donald Trump's recent attacks on him.
"When you’re doing, when you’re leading, when you’re getting things done, you take incoming fire, that’s just the nature of it," he said.
Just News, No Noise
- Fauci paper suggests feds knew COVID vaccines were doomed from the start: 'Decidedly suboptimal'
- Biden's State of Union message gets counter-programmed ... by his own administration and policies
- Former top Twitter exec: We've used 'visibility filtering' to suppress certain political content
- Former Memphis Police officer texted photos of Tyre Nichols to 'female acquaintance,' document shows
- Judge strikes down federal gun control law, second major loss for Biden admin in less than a week